- 2 slices stale bread (about 170 g or 6 ounces)
- 900 g (2 lb) ripe tomatoes
- 1 small cucumber
- 1 medium red pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ yellow onion
- 2 tbsp Pedro Ximenez vinegar
- ½ cup Oli extra virgin organic olive oil
- A pinch of cumin
- A pinch of oregano
- A pinch of Cayenne pepper
- Favuzzi fleur de sel
- Optional garnishes: Diced vegetables such as tomatoes and cucumbers
- Soak the bread in water for 30 minutes, then squeeze with your hands to drain out excess water.
- Chop the tomatoes.
- Peel and chop the cucumber.
- Chop the red pepper.
- Peel and chop the garlic clove.
- Chop the yellow onion.
- Combine the vegetables and spices in a large bowl and mix well.
- Crush the ingredients into a smooth paste.
- Season with pepper, then leave to rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle with fleur de sel just before serving.