Vegetarian potato ''cake'' with truffles
by: Margherita Romagnoli
- Preparation 25 min
- Cooking 70 min
- Portions 8 pers.
Serves 4-5 people
For the mushrooms
- 300-350 g portobello mushrooms, chopped or sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp Favuzzi extra virgin olive oil
- Favuzzi truffle oil
- Favuzzi truffle salt
For the “cake”
- 1 kg floury potatoes, peeled
- 2 whole eggs
- 5-6 tbsp grated parmesan
- 150 g provola or smoked provolone, diced
- Butter and breadcrumbs
- A pinch of nutmeg, salt and pepper
Products used in this recipe
Steps of preparation
- In a nonstick pan, sauté the garlic clove in olive oil.
- Add the mushrooms and cook them for 20 minutes or so.
- Drain the cooking water from the mushrooms, then add a drizzle of truffle oil and some truffle salt. Set aside.
- Cook the potatoes by steaming them.
- Preheat oven to 182°C (360°F). Butter a round 22 cm cake pan and coat the bottom and the sides with breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- Purée the potatoes in a bowl using a vegetable mill or a masher. Do not use a blender!
- Add the eggs, cheeses, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Mix quickly until smooth in texture (add 1 or 2 tbsp milk if the mixture seems too dry).
- Using a lightly damp spoon, spread half the mixture at the bottom of the oiled pan.
- Add the mushrooms and cover with the rest of the mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and some truffle salt, then dot with butter.
- Bake in the oven for about half an hour, until the top is browned.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes and serve.
Favuzzi is also
A selection of
on olive oil